The JRUKA Professional Practitioner Programme
To gain the Reiki Council Verified Practitioner Award & meet the requirements to be a registrant of the CNHC accredited professional register
Introduction and Background
Over recent years the value of natural, or holistic therapies have been increasingly recognised by the public and have become more popular. However, there are a variety of standards and practices within the field. This has not helped the acceptance of alternative therapies by conventional healthcare. In light of this, the government set up bodies to regulate professional standards in the UK, the main one being the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC). This register is overseen by the ‘Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care’, an independent body, answering to the UK Parliament. Its sole focus is on protecting the public. The National Occupational Standards for professional practice were drawn up for each therapy. Verification courses were then created to ensure those professional best practice and regulatory topics were covered and voluntary professional practitioner accredited registers were established.
One of the objectives of the Jikiden Reiki UK Association (JRUKA), when it was founded, was to create this supplementaryvocational training to meet the verification standards in a way that is congruent with those taught by the Jikiden Reiki Institute. This enables Jikiden Reiki students in the UK to achieve Verification and become registrants on the CNHC accredited register, in a smoother way than was previously available. We are happy to announce that we have now created the Jikiden Reiki UK Association ‘Professional Practitioner Programme’. This course has been verified by the Reiki Council and CNHC.
Requirements to Join the Programme
- You must have attended both Shoden and Okuden Jikiden Reiki training courses, with an authorised Jikiden Reiki teacher.
If you have not yet taken formal Jikiden Reiki training, you will need to do so before enrolling. You can find a list of teachers in your area from our directory here
- You must be an active practitioner (or teacher) member of JRUKA.
This training programme has been created and is run by the Jikiden Reiki UK Association (JRUKA).
This programme is completely optional vocational training and an addition to your formal Jikiden Reiki training. The course allows you to meet the National Occupational Standards in the UK. There is nothing ‘missing’ from your Jikiden Reiki training courses. These are modern-day additional voluntary regulations, best practice standards to meet. This programme deals with regulations and professional practice, not your Reiki training. Please understand you can operate fine as a Professional Reiki practitioner in most settings without this training. This programme is for those who wish to work in settings that require practitioners who are on an accredited register, or to gain more experience to be confident in their practice. Please also understand this programme is not designed as a business course, to build a Reiki practice, more about how to operate as a professional Practitioner. The length to finish is not set but may take 9 months or more for beginners.
This is a self-paced programme which is commonly conducted over a period of months. There is no cut-off time in place.
- After applying through the JRUKA you will have access to all the resources and supporting materials, you then commence a period of self-study, supported by the programme handbook, with sections on topics such as being a professional Reiki practitioner, practice management and key regulatory documents you need to be aware of. During this time you are building a portfolio of evidence of Reiki treatments and experience.
- This is then followed by a supported study phase, which beings with attending a 1- day training workshop that is delivered by an approved teacher/assessor, who will then support you through this programme.
- As you continue to build your experience, you will have a total of 4 Reiki treatments, where an approved ‘internal’ teacher/assessor, will observe you conducting a Reiki treatment (commonly conducted over a period of months).
- You then complete the assessment stage of this process with the Reiki Council written assessment and have a final treatment observation, conducted by an approved ‘external’ assessor. This will all be assessed by an external Verifying Organisation, approved by the Reiki Council, who will award you the Reiki Council Verified Practitioner Award. The JRUKA would then award you our Verified Practitioner status.
- Having successfully completed this programme, you will be eligible to apply (optional) to the CNHC accredited register to become a registrant (note: CNHC registration has additional ongoing costs).
What to Do if You Would Like to Join the Programme
If you are already a JRUKA member you will find more detail about this programme, the requirements and how to join within your JRUKA member resources, which includes access to a recorded webinar presentation introducing this topic along with more information and FAQ’s. Simply log into your membership account and go to your membership page, Log in